Thursday, October 21, 2010

Weekly Savings

For some years as a younger mom and wife, I felt very overwhelmed with the thought of creating a food storage. I wanted to obey the counsel of the First Presidency and I knew first handedly that life could throw some curve balls. Not long after we moved to Utah, I recall a very strong prompting by the Spirit, directing to me to create a food storage that would not only help our family to weather what ever storm that should come, but provide a nurturing stability and comfort for our family. I wondered how I was to do this task. I visited the Provident Living website for tips and I also prayed for guidance. The answer was made plain to me as I read it from the Family Home Storage Pamphlet.

It simply said:

"THREE-MONTH SUPPLY
Build a small supply of food that is part of your
normal, daily diet. One way to do this is to purchase a
few extra items each week to build a one-week supply
of food. Then you can gradually increase your supply
until it is sufficient for three months. These items
should be rotated regularly to avoid spoilage."

If you recall the story of Nephi in the wilderness, when Nephi's family came upon the land of Bountiful by the sea, they were so grateful to be there. It was not long after their arrival that the Lord commanded Nephi to build a ship. Nephi wondered, "Lord, whither shall I go to find ore to molten, that I might make tools to construct the ship after the manner which thou hast shown unto me?" (1 Nephi 17:9) The Lord then showed Nephi where to find ore.

I knew I needed to have the same faith as Nephi. I prayed how was I to build a storage with an already tight grocery budget and how was I to buy extras when it was crucial to stay within our means? The Lord knew very well of my concerns. I soon thereafter began to search the grocery ads for items that were on sale and that I could buy in multiples. I also started finding and adding coupons for those items to purchase, and it really helped cut our costs. Just as Nephi was shown where to find ore to build his ship, the Lord also guided me how to find "ore" to build my storage.

Some of you may be well on your way with your food storage and need no advice or direction from me. On the other hand, there may be a few of you out there that need a little help. Let me know how I can help- that's what I am here for. Each week that I post here, I will share with you deals I find and keep you informed.

The first step is to look at the ads, create a list, and take inventory of your storage. Buy items that you think or you see yourself actually using. Also ask yourself, if you or spouse were to loose your job, would you mind using a brand that is different that what you usually use? Just something to keep in mind. :)

Smith's
Downy/Tide/Bounce $4.99 each when you buy any combination of 4--don't forget to add coupons. Go to Smith's site to load onto your Rewards card or use coupons from Sunday paper.
Hershey's Chocolate Chips $1.79
Smith's Evaporated Milk .69
Eggs .79 per dozen
Kroger Salsa $1.00
Bumble Bee Tuna $1.00***see recipe below
Maceys
Swiss Miss Hot Cocoa .79
Sour Cream 16 oz. .69 w/ad coupon
Jello Pudding .89 w/ coupon .64
Cross Rib Pot Roast $1.98 per lb.

For printable coupons visit: coupons.com, smartsource.com, redplum.com

No comments:

Post a Comment